Friday, March 16, 2012

"Better Than Lasagna" Soup.

Vanessa's Version of Lighter Tastes Like Lasagna Soup

Adapted From Here

I found this recipe on Pinterest and I just had to give it a try. I left out the oil because it seemed unnecessary and cut down the basil. Other than that, I followed the recipe pretty true. Next time I think I'll add more veggies, although it needs nothing else! This soup was fan-fricken-tastic.  I paired it with a big ole salad and one serving was way more than enough. P was in Heaven because this really didn't even taste healthy! I think it should be called "Better than lasagna" soup. Maybe I'll have to rename my version.

There were 6 servings left over, so we will have plenty for the next few days. There was mega sodium in this. You could probably make some changes and cut some of that down. I just bought regular old chicken broth; next time I think I'll buy low sodium and leave out the salt in the recipe. I don't think it was really necessary.

Number of Servings: 8

Ingredients


    1 pound Italian seasoned ground turkey1 onion, chopped
    1 green bell pepper, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 (32-ounce) container chicken broth
    1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
    1 (14 1/2-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    4 ounces broken whole-wheat lasagna noodles (about 4 noodles)
    4 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil
    3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
    1/2 cup reduced-fat shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions

Add sausage, onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the sausage is crumbled and browned, 8 – 10 minutes.

Add  broth, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, salt, and crushed red pepper. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the flavors are blended (about 20 minutes). Add the noodles; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the soup thickens slightly and the noodles are tender, 10 – 12 minutes. Half way through add in the basil so it has a little time to set in. Remove from the heat; stir in mozzarella and the parmesan. (whole-wheat lasagna noodles take a little longer to cook.)

Serving Size: Makes 8 one cup servings

Nutritional Info
  • Servings Per Recipe: 8
  • Amount Per Serving
  • Calories: 222.2
  • Total Fat: 6.3 g
  • Cholesterol: 49.0 mg
  • Sodium: 1,247.4 mg
  • Total Carbs: 21.6 g
  • Dietary Fiber: 3.1 g
  • Protein: 20.8 g

Have you ever tried a recipe like this? What are some of your favorite lasagna ingredients?
 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good! Especially since it's freezing here. I make a mean veggie lasagna-crowd pleaser!

    ReplyDelete